– 2015 campaign –
The French Centre for Research on Contemporary China (CEFC) is offering three fieldwork grants for doctoral students, ranging from one to three months, to be carried out between May and December 2015 in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. The grant comprises a monthly stipend of 1200 € as well as a round-trip air ticket between Europe and China, Hong Kong or Taiwan, within the limit of 1000 €.
Profil of candidates
- Be enrolled in a doctoral program in a French or European university (located in a member-state of the European Union or of the European Higher Education Area), in the field of humanities and social sciences. (UK enrolled candidates must have been successfully admitted to the PhD cycle)
- Their research project must be situated within the scope of the CEFC’s mandate, which is to study political, economic, social and cultural developments in contemporary Greater China.
Within the framework of this grant, beneficiaries accept to:
- Submit to the CEFC a short report on their fieldwork, which may be included for example in the annual activity report of the Centre.
- Present their research, at the end of their fieldwork, to the CEFC research team during a seminar in Hong Kong, Taipei or Beijing.
Applications can be submitted in French or English and must contain the following
- A detailed resume (Please specify the date of your enrolment as a PhD candidate or admission to a PhD cycle for UK candidates)
- A research project explaining the fieldwork to be undertaken under the grant and explaining how it will contribute to the applicant’s doctoral project
- A recommendation letter from the PhD supervisor
Selection will be made according to the following criteria, which should be addressed by applicants in their research project mentioned above:
- Aims of the research and contribution to the dissertation project (please include the working title of the dissertation)
- Methodology, sources, place of fieldwork investigation (where and how will the fieldwork be carried out?)
- justification of the necessity of the requested grant to undertake the proposed fieldwork (please specify if this grant represents an additional source of funding and why the research is not covered under other sources)
- Time frame (please specify for how long the grant is requested)
- Results of the research (planned publications, etc.)
- Strength of the applicant’s cooperation with French research networks (for applicants in other European universities)
- Relevance to the research programs currently hosted in the CEFC
Complete applications must be submitted in a single PDF file (max: 10 pages, 1.5 line spacing), addressed to the Director of the CEFC, by email to Alfred Aroquiame (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “Fieldwork Grant 2015” on or before 31 March 2015. The recommendation letter should be sent directly by the PhD supervisor by email to Alfred Aroquiame (email@example.com) or by ordinary mail (in this case it must reach the CEFC by 7 April 2015), to: Sebastian Veg CEFC, 20/F Wanchai Central Bldg. 89 Lockhart Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Selected applicants will be informed in early May 2015. Contact information: Tel. (852) 2876 6914 or 6910 – firstname.lastname@example.org