Le Institute for the Study of the Ancient World (ISAW) à New York annonce l’ouverture de son programme pour chercheurs invités pour l’année 2023/2024.
La date limite pour envoyer sa candidature est le 20 novembre 2022.
Plus d’informations dans l’appel à candidatures :
The Institute for the Study of the Ancient World (ISAW) is a center for advanced scholarly research and graduate education, which aims to encourage particularly the study of the economic, religious, political and cultural connections between ancient civilizations. In an effort to embrace a truly inclusive geographical scope while maintaining continuity and coherence, the Institute focuses on the shared and overlapping periods in the development of cultures and civilizations around the Mediterranean basin, and across central Asia to the Pacific Ocean. The approaches of anthropology, archaeology, geography, geology, history, economics, sociology, art history, digital humanities, and the history of science and technology are as integral to the enterprise as the study of texts, philosophy, and the analysis of artifacts.
ISAW anticipates appointing visiting scholars in several different categories for the 2023-24 academic year. Applicants in all categories should be individuals of scholarly distinction or promise in any relevant field of ancient studies who will benefit from the stimulation of working in an environment with colleagues in other disciplines. Scholars with a history of interdisciplinary exchange and scholars whose academic interests include parts of the ancient Old World that are often underrepresented in traditional academic departments, including Africa, Central Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia, are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
Visiting scholars at ISAW have access to the Institute’s own library, as well as to a wide range of other libraries at NYU, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (located a block away), and other institutions in New York City, including Columbia University and the New York Public Library. They are provided with their own carrel workspace.
Visiting scholars in all categories are expected to undertake research projects connected with ISAW’s core academic mission, to be in residence at the Institute during the period for which they are appointed, to take part in the intellectual life of the community, to participate in ISAW seminars, to give a public lecture on their research at ISAW, and to play an active role in mentoring graduate students.
ISAW is prepared to host visiting scholars in three categories:
(1) Two-Year Visiting Assistant Professors: ISAW anticipates appointing up to two two-year Visiting Assistant Professors with a start-date of September 1, 2023. Holders of these positions are appointed as faculty, teach a graduate-level research seminar at ISAW, and teach one undergraduate course in an NYU department per academic year.
Visiting Assistant Professorships are reserved for early-career scholars who received their PhDs on or after May 1, 2020. Current doctoral students in their final year of dissertation work are also welcome to apply, but please note that official conferral of the PhD must take place prior to the start-date of the position (September 1, 2023).
Visiting Assistant Professors are paid a fixed salary. In 2022-23 the salary was $78,799. A research account is also provided to defray the cost of travel to conferences and other research expenses.
(2) One-Year Visiting Research Scholars: ISAW anticipates appointing up to three funded one-year Visiting Research Scholars for the 2023-24 academic year (September 1, 2023-August 31, 2024). Holders of these positions are typically appointed as professional research staff.
One-Year Visiting Research Scholar positions are available to scholars of all post-PhD career stages, from recently minted PhDs to retired academics. Current doctoral students in their final year of dissertation work are also welcome to apply, but please note that official conferral of the PhD must take place prior to the start-date of the position (September 1, 2023).
Visiting Research Scholars are paid a fixed salary. In 2022-23 the salary was $78,799. A research account is also provided to defray the cost of travel to conferences and other research expenses.
(3) Externally-Funded Visiting Research Scholars: ISAW is prepared to consider applications from postdoctoral scholars with their own funding from another source for appointments to be held during the 2023-24 academic year. Appointments can be for one semester (fall 2023 or spring 2024) or for the entire 2023-24 academic year.
Externally Funded Visiting Research Scholar positions are available to scholars of all post-PhD career stages, from recently minted PhDs to retired academics. Applicants should have their doctorates in hand by the beginning of their period of appointment at ISAW.
Holders of these positions do not receive any financial support from ISAW.
The application must be completed in Interfolio and should include a cover letter, CV (including publication list), a research proposal, three letters of recommendation, and a writing sample (either a published article or dissertation chapter). Applicants must also complete a researcher profile form and an EEO form in Interfolio. Letters of recommendation from ISAW faculty and staff are not permitted.
The application link for each category appears below:
(1) Two-Year Visiting Assistant Professor: https://apply.interfolio.com/112239
(2) One-Year Visiting Research Scholar: https://apply.interfolio.com/113563
(3) Externally Funded Visiting Research Scholar: https://apply.interfolio.com/113570